Does Drinking Hot Water Help with Weight Loss?
Irrespective of whether someone wants to lose weight or not, drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day is of supreme importance to prevent dehydration and for the running of all physiological systems in the body smoothly. Dehydration can create a lot of uneasiness in the body including headache, lightheadedness, low blood pressure, but if you didn’t already know, it can send hunger signals and make you eat more! This happens because with dehydration, our body cannot clearly distinguish between hunger and thirst signals, and most often instead of sipping a glass of water, we tend to indulge in unhealthy snacks (increasing the calorie count). Experts say there’s a strong connection between dehydration and weight gain, because lack of water causes tiredness and exhaustion, and in order to quickly replenish energy, we opt to eat something with calories to get a boost of energy. Water is the elixir of life, a zero-calorie drink that boosts metabolism, helps the body flush out toxins, and also to absorb nutrients. However, there’s a lot of hype surrounding the temperature of water that would bring along maximum benefits, particularly with regards to weight loss. In this post, we will find out whether drinking hot water helps with weight loss or not. Read on:
Benefits of Drinking Hot Water:
1. Improves Digestion: Drinking a glass of lukewarm water in the morning boosts metabolism, stimulates peristalsis in the gastrointestinal system, and aids digestion process.
2. Detoxifies the Body: Water helps to flush out toxins, and warm water in particularly is believed to be better at detoxifying the body, especially when consumed first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.
3. Keeps You Full: Drinking a glass of warm water before every meal prevents overeating – this is called “water preloading.” This habit can curb appetite and help slash calorie consumption in the subsequent meal. In this strategy, experts recommend to consume 500 ml of plain water half an hour before each meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). Such a quantity of water before the meal will significantly stretch your tummy and as a result, there would be lesser release of the hunger hormone “ghrelin.” This means you would feel full with less food and fewer calorie intake. This is considered an effective strategy to tackle overeating.
4. Boosts Metabolism: It is believed that hot water alters the temperature of the body and boosts metabolism. Also read: “12 Ways to Boost Metabolism To Burn Fat.”
5. Breaks Down Fat: Some studies say hot water also breaks down fat into molecules and makes their mobilization easy.
6. Keeps Fuller For Longer: Cold water gets absorbed a little quickly compared to hot water, so hot water will keep you fuller for longer and curb appetite in the process. Also read: “10 Appetite Suppressant Hacks To Control Overeating.”
Though we have mentioned how hot water benefits the body in multiple ways, do make sure the temperature is just right (within tolerable level), and not scalding hot to avoid damage to the mouth, tongue, palate, and esophagus.
Summing up, the temperature of water does really make a huge difference when it comes to weight loss, you can drink plain water at all temperatures – cold, warm, or at room temperature, as long as you drink 2 liters and more, and keep your body well hydrated. If weight loss is on your mind, there’s no better way than following a nutrient-dense diet like Rati Beauty diet where you get to lose inches as well as overall weight by being on a calorie-deficit formula.
Does Drinking Hot Water Help with Weight Loss
12 Ways to Boost Metabolism To Burn Fat